Relevant to: Event Lead Management
If you will be sending lead data from the Event Lead Management system to your Marketing Automation or CRM system, understanding duplicate handling is an important part of configuring your outbound integration.
This article outlines the different places where duplicate data can occur and how to choose the best settings for your organization.
In this article
Duplicate leads inside the Event Lead Management system
A duplicate record is:
- a record collected in the mobile app, which has the same email address as another record in the same Event and collected by the same mobile app user.
In this case, the record will be shown as a duplicate in both the mobile app and the dashboard.
A duplicate record is not:
- a record collected in the mobile app, which has the same email address as another record in the same Event and collected by different mobile app user or through a webform.
Check-in Events with a pre-registration cap:
- it will not be possible to submit the webform if the email address matches another record in the same Event.
How duplicate leads are displayed
| The Event Lead Management system does not treat duplicates any differently from other leads - they're simply flagged as a duplicate.
This enables you to have ultimate control over how they should be treated.
In the mobile app
Duplicate leads are highlighted in both the leads listing and the individual lead.
In the dashboard
Duplicate leads are highlighted in the leads listing page.
Duplicate leads are also highlighted in the lead detail page.
For all other purposes (eg. if two different app users at the same event capture a lead containing the same email), leads will not be shown as duplicates in the Event.
Duplicate leads inside integrated Marketing Automation or CRM systems
How leads are pushed to your integrated CRM or Marketing Automation systems will work in one of the following three ways:
|Insert new leads and update existing leads||
Checks for existing leads first before creating new ones. Matches based on email (or the identifier you have configured inside your Marketing Automation or CRM platform).
If multiple existing records are found, the most recently modified will be updated.
Will not create duplicates with this option.
|Insert new leads only||
Creates new leads every time, without checking for any existing matches.
Depending on your CRM or Marketing Automation settings, this can create duplicates if your software is configured to allow them because the Event Lead Management system won’t check prior to sending the new lead.
|Replace existing data, including blank answers||
Not typically recommended - overwrites data with blanks.
You define which of the above options to use when setting up your Event's integration in the dashboard. See Recommended Reading below, for more information on this.
Some integrated systems prescribe duplicate handling behaviours.
- Setting up a Salesforce integration
- Setting up a Marketo Leads Integration
- Setting up a Hubspot Contacts Integration
- Setting up an Eloqua Contacts Integration
- Setting up a Microsoft Dynamics 365 Integration