Relevant to: Event Lead Management
You can use the Integrate Events mobile app to collect contact data from business cards at events. It uses the camera functionality of your mobile device to extract data such as name, email address and company.
Business card scanning is available on both iOS and Android devices and it is recommend that you use devices with a flash and a high camera resolution; see Supported Devices for advice.
| Business card scanning is an optional feature.
It might not be available to you, depending on how your Event Manager has set up your Event form in the dashboard.
If you have access to the dashboard, you can read how to set up your Event form to include business card scanning, in How to set up Business Card Scanning.
In this article
Scanning business cards in the app
| To scan business cards the mobile app will need to access your device's camera.
You can permit this via in-app notification on the first run or in the Settings tab. See Enabling functionality on your device for more information.
1. Navigate to your event and tap the + button to open the form (your form will have been built for your event and may look different to the below).
2. In the business card scan field, tap the camera icon to access the device's camera. Position the business card in front of the camera so that the edges of the card remain in view, then tap the shutter button to save a photo of the business card. Complete the form as required and then tap Submit.
The photo will be saved into the event form. You can tap the photo to retake the image if it's blurry or unclear.
| Your device needs to be working with an internet connection for any business card data to be transcribed.
If offline, the lead will be stored on your device until it can connect to the internet, when the business card will then be transcribed.
Data available from business cards
Depending on what is present on the business card and the quality of the photo (see Tips for successful scanning), the following data could be available:
|Company name||Full name||Job title|
Foreign language transcription
Our business card transcription service is optimised for English language, but we're also capable of transcribing other languages that use the Latin and Roman alphabet.
Examples of languages that we can transcribe include:
Viewing business card data in the app
| Transcribed business card data can take up to 2-3 hours to become available.
This can vary but you'll be able to see a photo of the business card in the mobile app.
1. Once your data has been synced (look for green dots displayed on your leads; see Syncing your data) your business card will undergo transcription. You will see a cropped version of that image as a preview within the Event form.
2. Your leads will be updated to display transcribed data once it becomes available (and when your device is connected to the internet).
| If follow-up emails have been switched on for your event, they will be sent once the business card data is transcribed and available.
Follow-up emails are set up by users who have access to the dashboard.
Tips for successful scanning
Business cards vary in size, colour, and style! Here are some tips to help with using your camera functionality to scan business cards:
- Try to position business cards on a contrasting background, such as putting light cards on dark backgrounds and vice versa. This is particularly helpful when using older devices with lower resolution cameras.
- With glossy cards, try tilting the card or device at an angle to avoid glare from lights and/or the camera flash.
- It does not matter which orientation you use to take the photo - either landscape or portrait.
- Try to avoid shadows.
- Try to keep the card in focus and avoid blurring the business card image.
- Enabling functionality on your device
- Supported Devices
- Overcome lighting challenges; scan business cards & badges with flashlight
- How to set up Business Card Scanning (for users with dashboard access)