Relevant to: Event Lead Management
| This Help Center article is relevant to customers using the Event Lead Management system only.
If you are using the Event Lead Management system with the Demand Acceleration Platform, see Connecting the Demand Acceleration Platform to Marketo (REST API Integration).
Connecting to Marketo is the first step when setting up an integration. This feature enables you to instantly create or update leads in Marketo using the data collected from your Event forms (via the mobile app or web forms). You can share any text-based or selection data from your Event forms.
This article outlines the steps needed to connect the Event Lead Management system with Marketo.
This integration feature needs to be enabled for your account.
In this article
What this integration feature can do
- Create new leads inside Marketo.
- Transfer lead data in real-time.
- Update the status of people inside events (Smart Campaign Events) using check-in functionality.
What the integration cannot do
- Create or update Custom Objects in Marketo.
- Import lead or registration data directly from Marketo.
Integration setup overview
- In Marketo - Create a new LaunchPoint service.
- In Marketo - Gather Marketo credentials and field information.
- In the Event Lead Management dashboard (at account level) - Connect Marketo with the Event Lead Management system by entering the required credentials.
- In the Event Lead Management dashboard (at Event level) - Add the integration to specific Event(s) and map form fields to those in Marketo.
| You need access to your Marketo Admin section (with Marketo Admin permissions) and the Event Lead Management dashboard.
When setting up the integration, it is recommended that you are logged in to both platforms and have them open side by side.
Connecting the systems
Create a new Launchpoint service
The first step is to create a new Launchpoint service for use within Marketo. In order to do this, you will need an API-Only User.
|Create a new API-Only Role (Marketo)||Create a new Launchpoint service (Marketo)|
1. Create a new API-Only Role in Marketo. When creating this new role, select the Access API permissions. Not all of the subcategories are required, but we suggest starting with:
- Read-Write Activity (required).
- Read-Write Activity Metadata (required).
- Read-Write Custom Object (if applicable).
- Read-Write Custom Object Type (if applicable).
- Read-Only Lead (required).
- Any others you think may apply given your Marketo set-up.
2. Once created, assign this role to a New API-Only User.
3. Create a new Launchpoint service and assign the new API-Only User to this service.
Gather required information from Marketo
Once your Launchpoint service and API-Only User are assigned, you need to retrieve the following data points from Marketo.
The following table outlines what you need to collect from Marketo and where it can be found.
|Data to collect from Marketo
||Where to find the data|
In Marketo, go to Admin > LaunchPoint > View Details.
REST API Endpoint URL
In Marketo, go to Admin > Web Services.
REST API Identity URL
REST API field details
In Marketo, go to Admin > Field Management and select Export Field Names.
1. In Marketo, go to Admin.
2. This will open the Admin section of Marketo.
Client Id & Client Secret
1. In the Admin panel and under Integration, click LaunchPoint. Find the relevant LaunchPoint service that was created in the previous step and click View Details.
2. From the Details modal, copy the Client Id and Client Secret.
For more information, see the Credentials for API Access section of the Marketo documentation.
REST API Endpoint & Identity URL
In the Admin panel and under Integration, click Web Services. Scroll down to REST API section and copy the Endpoint and Identity URL values.
Rest API field details
In the Admin panel and under Database Management, click Field Management. Click on Export Field Names.
This will export all the Marketo field names in a .csv file. From the first column labeled REST API Name, note the field names that you wish to post into from the Event Lead Management system.
- You don't need to include all Marketo fields in your integration; you can decide which ones you want to give the Event Lead Management system write-access to.
- Common fields include basic contact and company information.
To help with mapping fields between systems, note the following for each REST API field:
- REST API Field Name - Special characters should not be included.
- Field type - eg. string, currency, date, integer, phone, Boolean.
- Picklist field values (if applicable) - Common for fields like state, country, industry, etc.
- Field length restrictions - Min/max number of characters.
- Field requirement - Whether field is required or optional, plus any other validation requirements.
Connect Marketo to the Event Lead Management system
1. In the Events dashboard, go to Settings > Integrations. Click Add new.
2. Select Marketo and click Add.
3. Using the details you collected from Marketo, enter the Client ID, Client Secret, Identity Service URL and REST Service URL. Click the Get Auth URL link.
4. Click Authorise Marketo.
Your Marketo account is now linked to the Event Lead Management system.
The Event Lead Management system and Marketo are now connected.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use the same integration over multiple Integrate Events accounts?
You must setup an independent integration link for each separate account. A cost will apply for each additional account that needs an integration.
Can I import the data that I collected before I set up the integration on an event?
You must setup the integration prior to collecting data. Data collected before setting up the integration must be manually exported and imported using CSV or Excel.