Relevant to: Event Lead Management
Business card scanning is used to collect contact data from printed business cards at events.
Add the business card scanning field to an Event form in the dashboard and it will enable your field team to extract contact data from printed business cards with their mobile device cameras. This typically includes name, email address and company. To read about the mobile app experience, see Scanning Business Cards in the Mobile App.
This article shows how to set up you Event with business card scanning.
Business Card Scanning is an optional extra feature that needs to be enabled for your account.
In this article
Adding business card scanning to an Event form
1. In the Events dashboard, create or open an existing Event. Navigate to the Form Builder and click on Add a Question.
2. Select Business Card Scan from the Contact Fields section.
3. Format the field as needed in the question modal and click Done.
4. Proceed with setting up the rest of your Event.
| If you add follow-up emails to your Event, the emails will be sent once the business card data is transcribed and available.
Add two fields to capture data from both sides
Sometimes business cards can have information printed on both sides. For those instances, you may want to add two business card scanning fields to the Event form so that your field team is able to capture both the front and the back of the business card.
Add a separate field for country
Business cards don't always specify a geographical location such as country. If this is an important data point for you, it is recommended to add a separate field for Country (or other relevant location-based field). The Drop-down and Autocomplete fields are good ways to record this.
Use logic to show or hide the field
Not everyone carries printed business cards and so you may prefer to hide the business card scan field in order to keep the Event form as concise and tidy as possible.
You can use form logic to determine whether the business card field is visible in the Event form, according to a preliminary question.
Example: using logic to hide and show the business card scanning field.
You could style an Event form so that the mobile app user is asked which method of data entry is preferred. If they select the business card scanning option, the relevant field would then appear.
Foreign language transcription
The business card transcription service is optimized for English language, but is also capable of transcribing other languages that use the Latin and Roman alphabet.
Examples of languages that can be transcribed include:
Viewing business card data in the dashboard
Once data has been synced from mobile devices, business cards will undergo transcription.
| Transcribed business card data can take up to 2-3 hours to become available in the dashboard and mobile app.
This can vary but you will be able to see a photo of the business card in both the dashboard and mobile app.
1. In the dashboard, you can identify leads that contain business card data (and the status of its transcription) by the icon displayed.
- When waiting for the transcription to complete, the business card icon will display with dots. Hover over the icon for more information.
- Once the transcription is completed, leads will be updated to display the business card data in both the dashboard and the mobile app (and providing the associated mobile device is connected to the internet). In the dashboard, the business card icon will change to include a tick.
2. Click the lead.
| Transcription data quality is dependant on the photograph submitted.
If the image of the business card is blurry or the text is illegible, it will impact the quality of information that can be transcribed. It is advised that field teams only use this feature with printed business cards.
3. Scroll to the Transcribed Business Card Information section.
A blue box will highlight the fields that have not been found on the business card. Business cards might not contain all of these data points, so please check if the information is on the photograph of the card before flagging it as a faulty transcription.
4. Click Show transcribed information underneath the business card photo. This will reveal the data that has been transcribed from the business card.
Flagging faulty transcriptions
If you believe you have received incorrect or incomplete transcription data, you can report this to the Support team. The record will be sent for review and the data re-transcribed. Flagging errors to the team will also help with improving the quality of our transcription service.
Click Report transcription to report the transcription.