| This Help Center article is relevant to customers using the Event Lead Management system only.
If you are using the Event Lead Management system with the Demand Acceleration Platform, see Connecting the Demand Acceleration Platform to Pardot.
Connecting to Pardot is the first step when setting up an integration. This feature enables you to instantly create or update leads in Pardot using the data collected from your Event forms (via the mobile app or web forms). You can share any text-based or selection data from your Event forms.
This article outlines the steps needed to connect the Event Lead Management system with Pardot.
This integration feature needs to be enabled for your account.
In this article
- What this integration feature can do
- What the integration cannot do
- Integration setup overview
- Connecting the systems
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Recommended Reading
What this integration feature can do
- Create new prospects in Pardot.
- Update an existing prospect if one already exists with the same email address (if multiple prospects exist, the most recently modified is the one updated).
- Pass the data in real-time.
What the integration cannot do
- Create or update any other custom objects.
Integration setup overview
- In Pardot - Gather Pardot credentials and field information.
- In the Event Lead Management dashboard (at account level) - Connect Pardot with the Event Lead Management system by entering the required credentials.
- In the Event Lead Management dashboard (at Event level) - Add the integration to specific Event(s) and map the form fields to those in Pardot.
| You need access to your Pardot system (with a Pardot Administrator role) and the Event Lead Management dashboard.
When setting up the integration, it is recommended that you are logged in to both platforms and have them open side by side.
Connecting the systems
Create a new Connected App in Salesforce
1. Login to Salesforce and navigate to Setup. In the side panel menu, navigate to Platform Tools and click Apps > App Manager.
2. Click New Connected App.
3. Add the required fields to the Connected App.
This table shows the required field and recommended values to add when creating the new Connected App:
|Connected App Name||
Give the app a descriptive name (eg. Integrate Events).
Add the value:
|Enable OAuth Settings||
Check this box.
Add the values (remove any space or line break characters):
|Available OAuth Scopes||
1. Add Access Pardot services (pardot_api) to the Selected OAuth Scopes.
2. Add Perform request on your behalf at any time (refresh_token, offline_access) to the Selected OAuth Scopes.
|Require Secret for Web Server Flow||
Uncheck this box.
4. Click Save.
Gather required information from Salesforce
Once your Connected App has been created, you will need to retrieve data points from Salesforce. The following table outlines what you need to collect from Salesforce and where it can be found.
|Data to collect from Salesforce
||Where to find the data|
In Salesforce, go to Setup. In the side panel menu, click on Build > Create > Apps and open the 'Integrate Events' Connected App.
API Field Names (and details)
In Salesforce, go to Setup. In the side panel menu, click on Build > Customize > Leads > Fields.
Business Unit ID
In Salesforce, go to Pardot Account Setup.
Consumer Key and Consumer Secret
In Setup, go to the side panel menu and click on Apps > App Manager. Locate the 'Integrate Events' Connected App you created in the previous step and click the associated drop-down menu. Select View.
From the API (Enable OAuth Settings) section, copy the Consumer Key and Consumer Secret values.
API Field Names
In Setup, go to the side panel menu and click on Objects and Fields > Object Manager. Click the relevant object to open the details and select Fields & Relationships.
To help with mapping fields between systems, note the following for each API field:
- Field name - Special characters should not be included.
- Field type - eg. string, currency, date, integer, phone, Boolean.
- Picklist field values (if applicable) - Common for fields like state, country, industry, etc.
- Field length restrictions - Min/max number of characters.
- Field requirement - Whether field is required or optional, plus any other validation requirements.
Business Unit ID
In Setup, search for Pardot Account Setup.
Copy the Business Unit ID (this will be 18 characters long and beginning with OUv).
Connecting Pardot to the Event Lead Management system
2. Select Pardot and click Add.
4. You will be redirected to sign in to Salesforce to login to Salesforce.
5. You are asked to authorize the Pardot integration. Once you done this, you will be redirected back to the Event Lead Management system.
Your Pardot account is now linked to the Event Lead Management system.
The Event Lead Management system and Pardot are now connected.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use the same integration over multiple Event Lead Management accounts?
You must set up an independent integration link for each separate Integrate Events account. A cost will apply for each additional account which needs an integration.
In the Events dashboard I am seeing an error, "There could be an issue with your integration setup - no data was returned to match to", how can I solve this?
This may be because the Pardot/Salesforce user that authenticated the integration doesn’t have the appropriate user permissions to connect to the API. It means the Event Lead Management system has connected to Pardot, but cannot send or retrieve data yet. Speak with your Pardot administrator to resolve this problem, and refer them to this documentation.