Relevant to: Demand Acceleration Platform
You can insert lead data into a particular Marketo program automatically when the lead is created or updated in Marketo.
Using the Demand Acceleration Platform to route leads will save you time by eliminating the need to create additional steps within a Marketo Smart Campaign (which essentially 'listens' for leads and adds them to a program based on certain criteria).
You should be familiar with Programs and their use cases in Marketo. You will also find it useful to be logged in to both Marketo and the Demand Acceleration Platform at the same time.
| You need to have 1) connected your Marketo account with the Demand Acceleration Platform, and 2) have set up the integration on your Campaign/Source - before defining lead routing.
|Connecting to Marketo||Setting up an Integration to Marketo|
In this article
- Adding leads to a Marketo Program
- Sending leads to one Marketo Program per Source
- Sending leads to multiple Marketo Programs per Source
- Testing your Program Settings
- Recommended Reading
Adding leads to a Marketo Program
| The 'Add to Program' function will only make one API call to your Marketo instance (unlike adding to a Static List, which makes two).
This is important to note because it's an API call that will contribute to your Marketo limits.
Identify the Program name in Marketo
Locate your Program name within your Marketo instance and keep this to hand. You will need the exact Program name to add to your integration set up in the Demand Acceleration Platform. If needed, first create a Program within Marketo.
Enable Add To Program and define program settings in the Demand Acceleration Platform
1. In a Campaign/Source, go to the Integrations tab.
2. Hover of the Marketo tile and click the Settings icon.
3. In the integration settings, check the box labelled Enable Add To Program.
4. The Program Settings section is then revealed.
The four fields that can be mapped to route to Marketo Programs are Program Name, Program Status, Source and Reason. These are visible in the Output column and are Marketo's fields used for Program enrollment. These are not user editable.
Program Name (programName)
This field should be the exact name of your Program in Marketo you wish the lead placed into.
Program Status (programStatus)
This field should be the exact value of the Program Status in Marketo you wish the lead placed into.
This field specifies a Source value, e.g. "Integrate" in Marketo that will be associated with the program.
This field specifies a Reason in Marketo that will be associated with the program.
5. Configure this section according to your Marketo Program needs.
The below sample configuration uses a few common examples of these.
Work with your Marketing Ops team to determine the best configuration based on all available options.
Sending leads to one Marketo Program per Campaign/Source
You can choose to send all your leads to a single Marketo Program. When specifying the details for the Program Name in the Program Settings, select Custom Field under Field and add the exact name of the Program under the column labelled Custom.
The screenshot below is sending all leads to a Marketo Program called Q4 Webinars.
Sending leads to multiple Marketo Programs per Campaign/Source
You may want to send leads to different Marketo Programs based on information gathered about the lead.
If you structure your Marketo Programs around content interaction for example, you may want to send all the leads that engaged with "Asset A" to "Program A" and all the leads that engaged with "Asset B" to "Program B".
You can accomplish this within the Program Settings by using Lists & Mappers.
1. If you haven't already, set up the list mapper in Lists.
Example: list mapper to map the Asset value of a lead to a Marketo Program name
2. Navigate back to the Campaign/Source > Integration > Program Settings section.
When specifying the details for the Program Name, select the corresponding Source Field that uses your list and mapper. Once you do this, you will see the name of your associated list appear automatically under the List Name column.
Under the Map column, from the dropdown, choose the corresponding mapper name that maps to your Marketo Program names.
Example: send leads to a corresponding Marketo Program depending on the asset that was downloaded
Save your changes and complete the set up of your Source Integration.
Testing your Program Settings
Be sure to test your integration before launching your Campaign/Source to allow live lead flow. Your leads will be routed to different programs in Marketo based on the mapped values, so work with your Marketing Ops team to confirm your tests are routing properly.
- Thorough testing will help ensure your leads will be correctly received and routed once they reach your Marketo instance.
- If sending leads to multiple programs, it is recommended to a send test lead to confirm the routing is correctly configured for each Marketo programs.
- Connecting to Marketo
- Setting up an Integration to Marketo
- Testing a Marketo Integration
- Interpreting Marketo Post Out Responses & Common Errors
- Post Out Lead Management in the Demand Acceleration Platform